Even high school students have it easier.
Freshman = 8 letters
Sophomore = 9 letters
Junior = 6 letters
Senior = 6 letters
Wait for it....
Kindergarten = 12 letters
Why in the world would someone make the name of the first grade of school 6 letters longer than the final grade of school? Because kiddos are so excited to start school and so eager to leave? Because parents are the ones reading and writing for kindergartners and seniors need a much easier time as they mentally "check out" half way through their final year?
Regardless of how you spell it, say it or rename it...kindergarten isn't what it used to be. Kids have changed. School has changed. Parenting has changed. And I'm scared to death.
Here are a few things I learned at kindee orientation:
- Kindergarten is now called kindee
- Students are now taught to make their letters by "frog jumping" and not simply by writing their letters over and over until their pencil makes a huge crater in their writing hand.
- Five year old bullies are commonplace.
- Public schools do not allow the celebration of Halloween...but of course will take vacation/break for the Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter holidays.
- Birthday party invitations are not allowed to be distributed at school so no ones "feelings get hurt" and "no one feels left out".
I am in trouble. Evidentally I am misguided because I believe in Kindergarten. I believe in making someone do something over and over until they get it right (its called practice). I believe big bullies create little bullies...and 5 year old bullies shouldn't exist (this is just pathetic, sad and frustrating). I believe kids enjoy dress up, costumes, candy, silliness and should learn about other cultures not just their own (Dia de Los Muertos) and thus Halloween parties are perfectly acceptable for school. Lastly, I believe not all children get along, get ahead or exceed at everything. Not everyone is created equal. It is a fact of life. Don't be cruel about it, but don't deny it either. If you do, you are setting them up for a life full of disappoints and a horrible thing called ENTITLEMENT.
I have a feeling this is going to be an educational year for both MaineGirl and MaineMommy. Oh dear. I have a kindergartner. Let's bow our heads and pray...oh can't do that either...let's pledge allegiance...er...let's sit here quietly and think.